Wednesday 4 January 2012

Spicy tomato and broccoli linguine, and one hell of a chilli.

Apparently, music is the food of love. Except that it isn't. Food is the food of love. Clearly. Think about it; there's no more intimate, nuturing way of showing someone you care deeply about them than feeding them. Especially when it's an act of selfless creation, done just to see the delight on another person's face. My parents cook elaborate and delicious meals for my brothers and me when we return home; my best friend bakes beautiful birthday cakes for those she loves; another friend has recently sent someone a mince-pie through the post (well packaged, I'm reassured), from England to China, to spread the Christmas love and show a far-off friend she is still loved (and will therefore still be fed). In my experience, I've found you can guage how much a person cares for you by how much they'd be willing to make you food. Note to all; if you're with someone who doesn't care to put together as much as sandwich for you, then get out, get out now.

Coming home to an incredible vegan chilli last night was a good demonstration of this theory. I may have recently, and willingly, become a pain in the arse to cater for, but Tom was still happy to make the effort (probably emboldened by the knowledge that, in mere hours, he would be safe in America, the land of meat and glory). I'm not going over the top when I say that it was one of the best chillis I've ever eaten. I'm not sure what was involved, but there were definitely courgettes, mushrooms, and at least two kinds of beans. Tom's housemate (who works as a headchef) declared it a triumph. As did I, but my opinion holds less professional clout. The boy is currently airbourne, but next time he's by a computer I'll badger him for the recipe. Aaah, and tomorrow, I can eat the leftovers. Chilli is, after all, one of those dishes which is always best eaten a couple of days later, reheated. (Other meals in this category include lasagne, curry and my mum's aubergine parmigiana).

I guess the whole 'food as caring' theory works on an individual level as well:
Toast and peanut butter for every meal = someone not really giving themselves much thought.
Spicy tomato and broccoli linguine = someone making a half decent attempt at treating themselves like functioning human.



http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/linguinewithspicytom_88952

This is my favourite recipe that I've tried so far. It was ridiculously quick to cook (only about 15 minutes, if you cook the linguine at the same time as everything else), used fairly standard ingredients, and...AND...it had wine in it too. Only a little bit, but enough to make me feel rather sophisticated. It was very light, maybe more of a summer dish than something to be eating on what may be the COLDEST night of the year (big claim. I know). I was somewhat heartened by this one. Seems like I may succeed as a functioning, self-feeding adult yet. And you know what; I ate it whilst watching TV, and drinking a G&T. It was lush, and I'm almost definitely turning into my mum...

In other news, I had my first soy latte today. Gonne be honest, it was probably also my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment